Did you know a teen can create a LinkedIn profile? According to the obligations section of their user agreement, an individual as young as 16 can start a profile. And believe it or not, there are a few reasons someone so young might want to start a profile!
Reasons for Teens to Create a LinkedIn Profile
5. This is a great place to start keeping track of jobs, volunteer work, camps, and extracurricular programs. You'll want to list those on job and college applications. So go ahead and put them all in one place.
4. A LinkedIn profile is a good place to keep track of awards and achievements. Go ahead, brag! This is the place to do it.
3. A LinkedIn profile can also act as an online portfolio for the creatively inclined. Once again, go ahead and show off! This is the place to do it.
2. It's a great place to start career exploration. Have you ever wondered what it's like to actually do the job you're interested in? Check out the jobs posted and what their requirements are. Look around to see what people do and read their summaries to find out why they do it.
1. But the number one reason for a high schooler to start a LinkedIn profile might be because it's a place to start networking with the schools or institutions you want to attend after high school. Schools from around the globe have LinkedIn pages that provide tons of information about their programs and their graduates, including where they are working after they finish their degree. This can help you decide about where you want to be. It can also give you the opportunity to start networking with individuals at the school therefore helping your chances of getting in.
How to Create a Linkedin Profile as a student.
If you are a teen or a parent of one who wants to start a profile, you might be thinking, "how do I create a good looking profile as a student?" Or, "how do I create a good looking profile without a job?"
I have put together a Linkedin Profile checklist for teens to help you get started. Just click below to get the list delivered directly to you!